Monday, September 8, 2008

Day 31: Almond Chutney Chicken in Lettuce Roll-Ups

After an eight day road trip to Montana, Wyoming, and Walla Walla, I am ready to cook!

Almond Chutney Chicken in Lettuce Roll-Ups

After eating A LOT of steak and fries and wine the last week, I tried to pick out a healthier looking recipe.

This is in the spirit of Vietnamese Spring Rolls and is made of a chicken salad served alongside lettuce leaves and a few crispy fillings.

The chicken salad has a secret ingredient-- Major Grey's
Chutney. This is a ready-made, mango-based chutney with about a zillion ingredients supposedly invented by a British Officer in India and even the cheap brand I bought from Fred Meyer's tasted pretty good so I will skip any long-winded speech about making your own. Just buy it!

Start with a whole roasted chicken. Another day I might roast my own chicken first, but I was hungry when I was at the grocery store, so I just bought one of the ready-roasted birds. It wasn't organic, so I am sure the authors would be disappointed in me. Pull all of the meat you can from your chicken, discarding the skin and bones. Then shred it or cut it into bite-size pieces.


Combine in a large bowl: 1 diced red onion, 1-2 diced jalapenos, grated zest and juice of one large lemon (or more to taste), one 9 oz. jar of Major Grey's Chutney, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Fold in chicken along with 1 cup chopped almonds and a few stalks of chopped celery.

Serve with bibb lettuce leaves, sliced cucumber, fresh cilantro, fresh basil and radishes.

This was very tasty and came together really easily. It would be easy to use substitute. I think jicama or carrots could be a nice addition and I might try it with peanuts instead of almonds.

The only problem was that the lettuce was small and it was a little messy. For lunch today I sliced up the rest of the lettuce and tossed it with the chicken mix and it was delicious.

56 recipes down in How to Eat Supper.


No comments: