Friday, August 22, 2008

Day 27: Dark and Moist Gingerbread with Cheesecake Pockets (Variation)

The original version of this gingerbread was so tasty that I thought to make one of the variations for a party I was going to.

Dark and Moist Gingerbread with Cheesecake Pockets


First, let me say this came out delicious and spicy and soft and moist and disappeared at the party.


However, once again after making one of the variations, I am thinking the authors didn't bother to make their own variation.

You start with the same exact gingerbread batter. Except
only pour half the batter into your prepared pan. Then you drop spoonfuls of your cream cheese mixture (cream cheese, one egg, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla extract) onto your batter. Top with the next half of the gingerbread batter and cook.

The reason I think they didn't even bother to cook this is the cheese mixture was so runny with the egg and lemon juice and extract that I couldn't even spoon it out of the bowl. I just poured the thin batter into the pan and it spread everywhere. When I topped it with the gingerbread batter which was much thicker, all of the cheese mix was pushed to the edges.

In the end, I think the cheese part was more trouble than its worth. A bite of the cream cheese means you miss all the yummy flavors in the gingerbread. Next time I will skip the added hassle of the cheese and make the delicious bread naked as it should be.

50 recipes down in How to Eat Supper.

1 comment:

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I love that cookbook and the Dark & Moist Gingerbread is high on my list to try.