Thursday, August 28, 2008

Day 29: Lemon-Garlic Roast Salmon on New Potatoes, Butter-steamed Leeks with Fresh Tarragon

I was dreading buying salmon as it is super-rare/expensive these days, but luckily my dad just went on his annual fishing trip and brought us back a lovely, perfect salmon.

Lemon-Garlic Roast Salmon on New Potatoes
Butter-Steamed Leeks with Fresh Tarragon


I know I will be shot upon saying this, but I am not a huge fan of salmon. I grew up in Bellingham, Washington which means that I grew up eating salmon. And now it is being over-fished and I always have so much guilt about eating it. It is hard to explain--even when we had our wedding reception, the caterer pushed salmon, and I fought against it.

But if I was going to make salmon, this dish is not a bad one to chose.

First, boil a pound or two of new potatoes in lots and lots of water.


Preheat your oven to 400 F.

While the potatoes are boiling, blend 1/2 cup olive oil, 5 garlic cloves, the juice of one large lemon and salt and pepper in the food processor. Place your salmon steaks/fillets in a shallow pan and pour the marinade over them. I put them back in the fridge, but I think it would be more prudent to let it all marinate at room temperature as it will cook quicker.


After 15 minutes or so, drain the potatoes and run them under cold water so you can stop the cooking and handle them. You are supposed to peel them, but this was a huge mess, so I gave up about half way through. Then slice them thin and overlap them in a baking pan. Drip some of the salmon marinade onto the potatoes and throw some capers on to boot. Then place your salmon on the potatoes, cover with the rest of the marinade and some more capers and cook 8-10 minutes.


I would like to point out at this point that it took 25 minutes to cook my salmon. It was a giant fillet and I kept it in the fridge to marinate which was my mistake. Just let it marinate on the counter and it will cook closer to the 10 minutes. Top with fresh chopped parsley.

Note: You can never go wrong with salmon, lemon, garlic, and capers. NEVER.

Meanwhile, I was cooking my Butter-Steamed Leeks with Fresh Tarragon.

Start with 3-6 leeks, depending on size. Trim away the roots and dark green part of the leeks. Slice lengthwise. Rinse well.


Heat up some butter and add your leeks, a sprig of tarragon, and salt and pepper. Brown gently and then add some white wine and chicken broth. Cover and cook 5-10 minutes. Lift the leeks out, add some water, and cook down your sauce until it gets a little syrupy. At the last second, mix in a little cream and barely heat. Pour over your leeks and sprinkle with fresh tarragon.

The leeks finished far quicker than my cold-marinated salmon, but I just threw some foil on the top and they were fine when I served them.


We both thought the tarragon was a little strong on these leeks. I think butter, garlic, salt, and pepper are all you really need here. Next time I will just skip the tarragon.

53 recipes down in How To Eat Supper.

No comments: