Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 18: Lamb Chops with Crossover Spice Crust, Melted Greens with Ricotta, No-Cook Whole Wheat Couscous

I can definitely see the grocery prices going UP, UP, UP during this project. To save money on this one, I confess I did NOT get the $5 EACH organic lamb chops and instead substituted the $5 for 4 organic pork chops instead.

Lamb Chops (ok, Pork Chops) with Crossover Spice Crust
Melted Greens with Ricotta variation
No-Cook Whole Wheat Couscous
I will key my eye open for when the lamb chops are on sale and then try this again with lamb. But I figured I could get a similar crust with pork and I think the substitute worked out well.

This is a VERY easy recipe for lamb (or pork). Make their recommended Crossover Spice Blend (1 part black pepper to 2 parts ground cumin to 4 parts ground coriander). Combine a couple tablespoons of this with 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt. Rub it on both sides of your chops, saving a little bit of the spice blend on the side.

Heavily film a pan with olive oil. Warm the oil on medium-high and then sear the chops for 3 minutes on each side. Continue cooking at medium for an additional 6-9 minutes, turning occasionally, until they are cooked to your liking. Dust the cooked chops with additional spice and a squeeze of lemon.

This made a very nice crust on the pork and the crossover blend is a nice change from your basic American rubs.

On the side I made my favorite Melted Greens wi
th Kale. Again, this is garlic and dried chile quickly cooked in warm oil and then add your ripped, clean greens and 1/3 cup of broth or water. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes or so, and add more water if you need to. Add salt and pepper to taste at the end. The variation here is to finish the cooked greens with a few tablespoons of ricotta. I thought it was fine, but the small container of ricotta cost $5 and now I have to find something else to do with the rest of it before it goes bad. Trevor's critique was that the variation with bacon was much, much better.

The first time I made the melted greens, the chile gave a spectacular little buzz on the lips and I haven't recreated this in the four times since that I have made it. This time I even added another chile and I still couldn't taste anything but ricotta and kale. Maybe the bacon fat carried the heat a little better.

Finally, I made the No-cook whole wheat couscous. The principle here is that couscous is already cooked. So take 2 cups of whole wheat couscous, mix it with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and drizzle with a 1/2 cup of water. Gently toss to coat and then let it stand a few minutes before adding another 1/2 cup. Repeat the process until 2-3 cups water is absorbed to your liking.

OK, this was easy to make and to fit in with cooking my other items, but it was SOOOOOO boring. Maybe the key is to do this first and then saute some onions and garlic and spices in chicken broth and then add the couscous and heat it up. Room temperature, and without flavorings, it was bland. I poured some of the pork juices on it to flavor it a little. Also, 2 cups is A LOT. I made it will just 1 cup of couscous and it was plenty for our meal and for leftovers the next day.

36 recipes down in How to Eat Supper.

No comments: