Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Day 3: Pasta with Chopping-board Pesto, Melted Greens, and Gingerbread


If you take on a cooking project, half the recipes or make sure your husband takes leftovers to work so you don't eat two pieces of gingerbread for breakfast.

Pasta with Chopping-board Pistachio Pesto
Melting Greens with Bacon (variation)

Dark and Moist Gingerbread

Dinner was a garlic fiesta.

I am drawn to this pasta recipe for two major reasons.

First, I like the idea of pesto with pistachios, the flavor is different—saltier, roasted goodness-- and you get more of a crunch than with the traditional pine nuts.

Second, the authors recommend chopping everything together on the board at the same time. This is fun and a little messy because your chopping board gets a little full.

You start by chopping the salt, pepper, and garlic together and the smell is amazing. Then you slowly add ingredients until it is all there, one big sloppy, yummy mish-mash. One point of caution is that you barely cook the sauce so beware of the garlic if you have a breakfast meeting the next day! But we like garlic so I piled it on.

I used less pasta than they recommended (and I used whole wheat pasta because that never hurts) and it still didn’t seem like there was much sauce. But once the flavors were allowed to mingle with the pasta and cheese, it was pretty good.

I paired this with Melting Greens with the bacon variation. Basically, you cook coarsely chopped bacon in a big pot, then add chopped garlic and a dried red chile and then add water or broth and ripped up kale and cook for 10-15 minutes. I added a splash of white wine in the end as well, but that wasn’t in the recipe.

Now, if you are not a kale fan, this recipe will make you one. I already cook something similar like this every week in summer and fall because we get so much kale from our farm share but the added chile was an interesting twist. DO NOT LEAVE OUT THE CHILE! At the end of cooking, you remove the chile, but when we bit into the kale, there was a delightful tangy bit of heat on the tongue that took this recipe to a whole new level. I may never be able to make kale again without throwing in a chile.

The greens were a little strong paired with the pesto pasta. Next time I might just put the pasta with some steamed or roasted veggies on the side. The greens could be good next to a steak or pork chops. We topped off the meal by drinking a bottle of Clos du Val Cabernet Sauvignon. That really made me think about steak.

I knew I wouldn’t be cooking the next evening because we are going to an art opening so I wanted to squeeze in another recipe so I don’t fall behind in the cookbook.

Dark and Moist Gingerbread

This gingerbread is extremely easy to make and comes out fluffy and moist just like they promised. And it is cooked in a square cake pan instead of a bread pan so it is more like cake. I prefer bread shaped, however, because you can slice it thin and put butter and jam on the slices.

An interesting twist calls for black pepper in the spice mix and it made the flavors a little stronger. This is not a wimpy gingerbread flavor. Instead of serving it with whipped cream, I dusted it with powdered sugar and topped it off with sliced mint and strawberries, yum!

Six recipes down in How to Eat Supper!


No comments: