Saturday, July 5, 2008

Day 5: Dressing-In-A-Bowl Supper Salad


The evening after the 4th of July seemed like a perfect time for a simple salad after all the grilled meats, potato salads, cupcakes, and copious amounts of wine from the night before.

Dressing-In-A-Bowl Supper Salad

This seemed too easy to be something to make out of a cookbook, but this salad has a very nice, simple premise. You start by marinating chopped red onion and garbanzo beans in your salad bowl with vinegar, grainy mustard, and salt and pepper. Let that sit for a half an hour to mellow the onion while prepping the rest of the salad. Pick out your raw veggies, fresh herbs, meat or soy product if desired, and your preferred salad greens. I know there is a lot of discussion that tearing lettuce is better than chopping lettuce, but I like to chop my lettuce greens fairly small. I think it makes the salad look more sophisticated. Finally, add your olive oil and toss everything and serve immediately. I added some shaved parmesan on top and some left over Kalamata olives on the side and we had a simple meal that made us feel incredible healthy compared to the over-eating of the holiday.

I especially like the versatility of this dish because I have a great opportunity to use all those farm share veggies that have been stacking up in the fridge.

10 recipes down in How to Eat Supper.

No comments: