Monday, July 7, 2008

Day 6: Tomato-Cheddar-Packed Turkey Burgers

Do cookbook authors think more about the names of the recipes than the taste of the recipes?

Tomato-Cheddar-Packed Turkey Burgers

Now don't get me wrong, I actually liked this burger quite a bit. However, the whole bit about stuffing the burgers with the cheese was a bit silly. Sure it was fun to bite into the burger and have cheddar cheese squirt out, but the cheddar cheese added a lot to the flavor since without much spice, turkey is pretty bland. So I would have just preferred to put a big slice of cheddar on top and enjoy the cheese the whole meal.

But maybe sometimes it is all about trying to think of the next NEW EXCITING THING! instead of a just saying, you know a nice grilled onion-tomato-packed turkey burger with cheese on top is pretty darn good.

Also, I have to take this moment to complain about the poor quality of hamburger buns out there. I cannot, for the life of me, find a traditional looking hamburger bun that doesn't have high-fructose corn syrup as the second or third ingredient. I buy the whole wheat and they are still loaded with the stuff. And in the "healthy" section of the grocery store, there are no hamburger buns. Maybe they figure if you are going to eat a burger, you don't care about your health. And if you do ciabatta or some other hard roll, these delicate burgers would squish out all over the place. Maybe next time, I will just prepare them sans rolls and put garlic bread on the side.

11 recipes down in How To Eat Supper

No comments: